The Paw Print

The Student News Site of William Henry Harrison High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

Finding Fun During the School Day

Joey Russel
Photography 2 at their field trip to the Cincinatti Zoo and Botanical Gardens.

Have you ever wanted to just take a break and leave school for the day? Do you wonder where half your class goes on a random day? If so, you should consider the following classes for their end of the course field trips! Marine Science, Cincinnati History, and Photography 2 are semester electives that have field trips at the end of the year. Marine Science goes to the Newport Aquarium, Cincinnati History goes to downtown Cincinnati, and Photography 2 goes to the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden.

There is also a field trip, which is a little more unknown, for ceramics. For this field trip you have to be in either Ceramics 1 or 2 and have to pay a fee, which varies based on if you decide to get your project fired and glazed at the location. For this trip you go to Queen City Clay in Norwood, Ohio. This trip however is limited to 30-40 students, and is first come first serve. On this trip you will learn how to use a pottery wheel, get lunch, and you get to make multiple projects to take home with you. You should be prepared with some clothes you aren’t afraid to get dirty and money for the gift shop.

To take Marine Science, you need to be in at least 11th or 12th grade and have a C or better in Biology and Physical Science, and for Photography 2, you need to complete Photography 1 beforehand, with Art 1 being a prerequisite for Photography 1. Cincinnati History is a class offered to all grades. While in the classes you also need to maintain C or higher and no missing assignments in order to attend the field trips. For the Zoo you will get sent a link in order to purchase a ticket, and emails will be sent out to the staff. Don’t forget, you will need to get forms signed by parents in order to attend. 

Students will attend these field trips by bus, at the beginning of a school day and attend the majority of the day, and make it back with enough time to be dismissed to leave. For these full day trips, you will need to bring money and comfy shoes to the aquarium. You should bring sunscreen, sunglasses, and money with you for Cincinnati. For the zoo, it is recommended you bring sunscreen, water, your camera and SD card, money, sunglasses and a small bag.

For the aquarium you get to walk around and see all the aquatic animals, eat lunch, and go to the gift shop. While in Cincinnati you will experience a tour of the sports stadiums and field, a tour of vine street and Over-the-Rhine, go to Findlay Market for lunch and Graeter’s ice cream, ride a streetcar, and enjoy the river at Smale Riverfront Park. While at the zoo, you will walk around and take pictures for a grade, eat lunch, and get to visit the gift shops. These trips are typically towards the end of the year, in the month of May or December, for some classes. 

If you have the time and want to enjoy these fun trips, you should definitely consider these classes for the chance to experience the adventures that come with them. Remember to work hard and keep your grades up so you get approved, and always make sure to dress for the weather, wherever you go.

Donate to The Paw Print

Your donation will support the student journalists of William Henry Harrison High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.